Tips to Keep Your Cat Kid Safe, Smart, and Healthy
You love your cat like they’re your kid. Your part-feral, lion-like kid that snuggles with you and also zig-zags around the kitchen at 3 a.m. No matter what, you want what’s best for them. Read on to learn how to keep your wild child safe from the elements, boost their brain power, and help them stay healthy for a long, long time.
Inside is best
Does your cat kid scratch and meow at the door or stare longingly out the window while chattering at birds? Even though it’s in their wiring to hunt and explore nature, it’s safer to keep them indoors and away from elements that could harm them. If their pining for outside becomes excessive, invest in a secure harness to take safe walks together around the block. If they do venture outside without you, make sure they’re microchipped, up to date on all their meds, and wear a breakaway ID collar.
· Set up comfy spots for them by the window so they can watch the wildlife (or the mail carrier).
· Hide toy mice around the house so they can tap into their hunting instincts and keep up with their exercise routine.
· Set a heated cat house on your porch or outside steps if they head out during colder temperatures.
Play, play, play
Cats are wired to sleep A LOT. They’re also wired to play. Playing teaches survival skills like chasing and catching prey, whether it's a mouse or just that innocent-looking rubber band on your floor. It’s also great for their mood and mind. Playing helps them have fun and work on problem-solving skills, like figuring out exactly where that red dot is coming from, where it’s going, and how it got on their forehead.
· Set aside playtime with your cat every day, whether you’re dangling wool yarn in front of them or letting them win a round of hide and seek.
· Consider adopting another cat for interactive play and companionship. Bonus: watching them play together is like scoring a front-row seat to a comedy show in your living room.
Practice preventative care
Cats need checkups just like we do. Schedule annual appointments with your vet to keep your cat kid up to date on their vaccinations. Not every vaccine is necessary every year, and your vet will have a record of what’s needed when so that your cat steers clear of harmful — and preventable — diseases.
Another preventative care practice: regular nail trims, which help keep paws healthy (and your furniture lasting longer). The best time to trim nails is when your cat’s a little sleepy — that way they’ll be more cooperative and less likely to swat the nail clippers out of your hands and then bat them across the floor.
· Make sure to administer meds that prevent heartworm and keep fleas and ticks away, especially if your cat spends any time outside.
· Feed them controlled portions of nutritious food with organic or non-GMO ingredients if possible — it will help them stay at a healthy weight and avoid issues including heart disease and diabetes.
· Use our biodegradable litter Naturally Fresh, which is non-toxic, free of harmful silica dust, and doesn’t get stuck in paws.
What types of things do you do to keep your cat kid safe, smart, and healthy? Share your stories and pictures with us on Facebook or tag us on Instagram using the hashtag #NaturallyFreshCatKid.
More Stuff You'll Love
Best Pellet Cat Litter? Meet Our Non-Clumping Pellet Formula.
If you already use Naturally Fresh Cat Litter, you know our biodegradable walnut shell cat litter speaks to your cat kid’s DNA to bury their business in nature. And while five of our six formulas clump fast and organically neutralize odors thanks to their
How to Find the Best Eco-Friendly Cat Litter for Your Cat Kid
You want the best things for your cat kid: healthy food, non-toxic toys, environmentally-friendly cat litter. But with all the choices out there, how can you be sure you’re getting the best natural cat litter for them? Read on to discover the difference between Naturally Fresh and the competition.
Naturally Fresh: The Best Cat Litter for Odor Control
When it comes to litter box odor control, walnut shells don’t usually spring to mind. Naturally Fresh is changing that. If you’ve ever wondered how to neutralize ammonia in cat litter the fresh and natural way, look no further than our eco-friendly formulas.